Most parents understand that leaving their kids in the car on a hot day is dangerous. Most parents also teach their wards to keep away from hot surfaces and matches, and they put sunblock on their kids before allowing them to run out to play in the yard on scorching summer days. Everyone knows about all mentioned, but many parents most likely may not recognize that the water lying in the garden hose can be as dangerous as hot surfaces.
A woman from Arizona is reaching out to parents to warn them of the dangers lying around the house after her 9-month-old baby got burned.
Mrs. Dominique Woodger was going to fill a small puddle with water so her son could play in it. But the hose connected to the sprinkler in the garden already had water in it, the hose had been lying around in the hot sun all day. As she turned on the hose hot water from the mouth rushed out and sprayed the boy’s face.
“I thought he was just crying because he was mad because I know he hates when he gets water sprayed on his face. I didn’t imagine it was burning him,” Woodger said when interviewed.
The woman from San Tan Valley in Arizona warns other parents about the heart breaking accident that happened to her toddler son after he got the second degree burns all over his body.
A Phoenix firefighter, Captain Larry Subervi told newsmen that as temperatures rise to 115 degrees, the water inside the hoses can rise to reach up to 150 degrees and exposure to such water temperature can cause a second-degree burn in as little as 30 seconds. According to reporters who saw the kid, Woodger’s son had second-degree burns on about 30 percent of his body.
Much of the little boy’s skin was red and filled with blisters. He was treated and released, the mother said he would be fine, but she explained that she needs to let other parents know of the danger she faced. She told reporters, “Parents should just be careful, just touch it the water before you spray and before you let your kids play near it.”
Other common contact burns as seen by the local firefighting team is from people walking on the hot pavement on hot summer days. Hot surfaces are found everywhere in homes, facilities, factory, and plants. At all these places, not only children stand the risk of exposure to getting burns from the surfaces.
Playgrounds for kids and pets can reach as much as 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit on such days. Very young children can suffer second to third-degree burns if they are exposed to surfaces that hot since their skins and tissues are much softer than that of teens and adults.
Parents need to pay more attention to surfaces and materials lying around on hot days in the sun, some of these surfaces absorb heat really quickly and dissipate as fast but others do not dissipate as quickly as most metallic surfaces would.
The dangers with hot pavements are more or less the same as other hot surfaces, especially for pets and children. Footpad burns are a common injury in the summer for pets and children with their shoes off while playing on such surfaces. A veterinarian added that the damage sustained from prolonged exposure of pets feet to hot pavement may cause the foot pads to remove off their feet entirely, causing an extreme level of pain for the animals with the significant healing time required.
Many safety practices have been recommended for parents in taking proper care of their children and pets on hot summer days. Simply checking the surfacing material for any home or playground equipment to see their conditions and determine their temperature on these days will go a long way in guaranteeing children’s safety in this condition.
Proper supervision and protective clothing cannot be over-emphasized in order to reduce the risk encountered. Above all, being more observant is the lesson Miss Woodger wants everyone to learn so as to avoid making kids suffer the consequences of our oversight.